Monday, November 16, 2009

Tag, you're it!

Okay, my daughter, Melissa, knew I had a goal to update our blog this week and tagged me to complete the following "survey." I guess it's okay because the Sunday School lesson we taught last Sunday was all about family history and this blog has family history written all over it. Thanks, Melissa.......you little sneak! (Hope you are feeling better.)

What are your middle names? Brad William (like his dad's first name) and Deborah Jeanne (like my mom's middle name except her name is spelled Jean.)

How long have you been together? We have been married 30 years, 6 months, and 4 days..........but we were engaged for 6 1/2 months before that. I know, 6 1/2 months is a long time.

How long did you know each other before you started dating? Well, Brad moved into The Elms Apartments in April 1978 and our first date was on June 3. He claims he introduced himself to me 5 times before I remembered who he was...but I don't remember that. I would say we knew each other for about 5 weeks...........but we didn't start dating "exclusively" until school started in September. (I was having a fun summer!)

Whose siblings do you see the most? I would say mine....for one thing, I only have three brothers compared to his eight sisters. My brother lives with my mom so I see him alot and my other brother isn't far away, but I think we see most of his sisters 3 or 4 times a year, too.

Do you have any children together? Yes, we have 5 terrific kids who are all basically adults now.........they have attracted 4 amazing spouses and have produced 2 beautiful granddaughters.

What about pets? Not at the moment. (At least until Jen breaks us down - unless you count doggy-sitting Sarge.)

Did you go to the same school? Yes, we both went to BYU and bleed blue!

Where do you eat out most as a couple? Hard to say, but probably Brick Oven or The Olive Garden.

Where is the farthest you have ever traveled as a couple? We were able to go to Jerusalem in May 1998 which was an amazing experience--with stops in Spain and Italy other times. To the west, it would be Hawaii.

Who does the cooking? I would have to say, Me.....but when we are having breakfast food, Brad is the expert (especially bacon - I always burn it). But he always does the dishes! How lucky is that!

Who is more social? Once again, Me. After all, who has the blog and a facebook account?

Who is the neat freak? We both enjoy a clean house, but I'm a pile person and have a hard time throwing anything away which tends to make a mess.

Who is the most stubborn? I don't really like the word "stubborn" but I tend to be the one who gives in. I just don't like to make anybody mad. (Brad gave in to that answer.)

Who wakes up earlier? That's easy, Brad...he's up every morning at 5:30 am. My alarm clock does not have a "5" on it.

Where was your first date? We went to the Fox Theater (where McDonald's is now) and saw Capricorn One. Then we went to his apartment and played $20,000 Pyramid with his roommate and his date.

Do you get flowers very often? No, but I wouldn't want them very often. I think it's a waste of money for something that doesn't last very long. I would rather spend money on other things that we need or things that I want - you can never have too many scarves or purses.

Who sings better? Definitely, Brad. He has a beautiful tenor voice and I love to hear him sing. When I first sat by him at church I was laughing and he wondered why....I said it was because he had such a nice voice (which was true) but I don't think he believed me.


Who does the laundry? I do. Best thing we ever did though was start taking Brad's shirts to the laundry....it probably saved our marriage. (haha)

Who is better with the computer? That might be a tie....Brad is much more savy with technical things and worksheets, etc. but I spend alot more time emailing and doing little things on it that he might not know. Is that fair?

Who drives when you are together? Brad does. He's a very careful driver. In Spain I drove alot more though because he was always on the telephone. (It is against the law to talk on the telephone when you're driving. Isn't that a great idea?)

Who picks where you go to dinner? We usually agree on where to go. I just like to go out a lot more than he does because he usually eats at the Cougareat for lunch every day.

Who is the first one to admit when they are wrong? I think we are both very sensitive to each other and our choices. We are both always willing to learn.

Who wears the pants in this relationship? Brad is a wonderful husband, father, and priesthood leader and I totally support him.

Who eats more sweets? I'm sure I do. I tend to be a snacker and Brad is more disciplined. But we both like that little dish of sherbet and Brad loves the hot chocolate to fill in the cracks.

Who cries more? I can cry fairly easily over little things. Brad can control himself better, except when he's teaching the Gospel but we both cry when we watch our mission slide show.

What's your best day together? I think every day of the mission was the best. It was like a 3-year-long date. We realized how much we love our children and how good they are....how much we love the missionaries and how good they are... and why we fell in love in the first place. But it really is TODAY....the days just keep getting better.

Where did you honeymoon? After our reception, we left in look-alike clothes and drove to Marriott's Great America. They didn't have a room for us (the previous guest refused to leave) and sent us down the road to stay at the Ramada Inn in a studio room where the bed pulls down from out of the wall. Marriott felt so bad they gave us a free weekend...funny thing is that we didn't use it until a few years later when we brought 2 children along.

Favorite date night? In Madrid, we loved going to Frankie and Benny's, our favorite Spanish New York Italian restaurant. But now it's going to the Temple on Friday afternoon but we always love to go watch our kids in some sort of athletic event.

Favorite TV show to watch together? M.A.S.H. would definitely be at the top of the list. I bet Brad could recite almost every dialog of Seasons 2 and 3. Lately, we also enjoy CSI or Law and Order or a new show called Criminal Minds.

I tag: Aunt Nancy...........because we all want to know more about her wonderful life!


Well, I knew I needed to start this blog again somehow. Thanks for the push, Melissa!

3 comments:

Slim said...

I loved reading about you and your great husband! So glad Melissa tagged you and am looking forward to reading about Aunt Nancy!

Melissa Grow said...

Good answers Mom. I learned a few things about you... I had no idea what your first date was. I love that you laughed at him when he sang in church. I'm sure you weren't laughing AT him... but you know what I mean. See you in a few days!

Corinne Baird said...

Wow. Sure glad I peeked in today. That was great! And I can just hear you laughing at Brad singing - you're always laughing at everything. Me too! It's with delight, not to make fun, eh? Love you!